New Orleans Motivational Interviewing Therapy for Addiction
Motivational Interviewing for Addiction in New Orleans, LA
Finding the motivation for change can be a struggle for most people who enter substance abuse treatment. Some can see the negative impact alcohol or drug use has had on their lives, while others feel that it’s just unfortunate circumstances. Although some individuals can recognize the destructiveness of addiction, they may be so tightly gripped by the disease of addiction that they are unwilling to make a change.
For any of these individuals, motivational interviewing can be a powerful tool. It helps clients find their own internal motivation for change and shows them they possess the necessary resources to make these changes. This positive approach allows treatment providers to create a meaningful therapeutic experience with clients and helps them discover their journey to a better, sober life.
If you or a loved one is in the Greater New Orleans Area and struggling with drug or alcohol use, don’t wait. Call today for more information on Longbranch Recovery and Wellness Center’s motivational interviewing program.
What is Motivational Interviewing (MI)?
Motivational interviewing (MI) is an evidence-based approach developed in the 1980s. It is grounded in collaboration, support, and the power of choice and has been proven a beneficial treatment option for individuals with mental health disorders and drug addiction.
A motivational interviewing program works by helping individuals find their motivation to change and resolve ambivalence about their habits. It can be used effectively in all levels of care and is commonly found in both inpatient and outpatient programs. Unlike cognitive-behavioral therapy, motivational interviewing sessions focus less on the therapist’s suggestions and more on individuals in treatment identifying their own issues with their behavior. The therapists focus on listening to the client, responding to the person’s resistance, and helping them identify and work through their feelings and motivations.
Often, individuals suffering from substance use disorders are treatment resistant because they are in denial, feel like they are being forced to change, or they have co-occurring mental health issues. MI helps remove many of these barriers by allowing the client to take the lead in their recovery process.
The goal of MI counseling is to foster self-determination and autonomy within the person so that they can take control of their well-being and journey of recovery. Utilizing this modality in a client’s treatment plan helps them stay motivated throughout drug rehab and sets them up for success once their treatment program is complete.
Key Elements of Motivational Interviewing
There are four key elements of motivational interviewing: expressing empathy, developing discrepancy, rolling with resistance, and supporting autonomy.
- Expressing empathy- Expressing empathy involves creating a safe, non-judgmental space for the client to explore their thoughts and feelings. The goal is to understand the client’s perspective and show that the counselor understands their experience.
- Development of discrepancy- Developing discrepancy is the process of helping the client recognize the inconsistency between their current behavior and the goals they have for themselves. The counselor helps the client realize their potential for change and the possibility of a better life.
- Avoiding resistance- Rolling with resistance is talking through the client’s current feelings and exploring the possible consequences of not changing their behavior. The counselor helps the client to consider their options and explore the pros and cons of different choices.
- Supporting autonomy- Supporting autonomy is permitting the client to make their own decisions. The therapist gives the client the guidance, tools, and resources they need to make an informed decision, but ultimately the client is in control and makes the final decision. Supporting self-efficacy can be an important aspect of motivational interviewing, as it can help individuals build confidence in their ability to make positive changes.
Depending on the client’s willingness to change and the phase of treatment they are in, these principles and ideas can be modified and used during the entirety of the treatment process. The objectives of the MI treatment can be adapted and adjusted per the client’s needs, including their alcohol or drug abuse history.
Benefits of Motivational Interviewing
There are many benefits to using motivational interviewing in addiction treatment. Here are a few:
- Increased Self-Awareness: MI encourages clients to reflect on their behavior and beliefs, which can lead to increased self-awareness. This can help clients identify any underlying issues or challenges preventing them from achieving the desired change.
- Increased Motivation: MI helps clients tap into their self-motivation to achieve their goals. The therapist helps clients explore their goals and develop strategies to reach them. This can help them stay on track and increase treatment outcomes.
- Improved Client-Counselor Relationship: The MI approach encourages client and therapist collaboration. This cooperative approach creates less treatment resistance and encourages a willingness to change.
- Adaptability- MI is an adaptable approach that can be tailored to meet the needs of each client. Whether in the early stages of substance use treatment or at a lower level of care, MI is a form of therapy that can be implemented.
- Treatment retention- Facilities, like Longbranch Recovery, that implement motivational interviewing techniques have higher treatment retention rates. The longer a client stays in a rehab center, the more likely they are to overcome their addictive behaviors and achieve long-term sobriety.
Get Help With Your Addiction Through Motivational Interviewing at Longbranch Recovery
Motivational interviewing has a multitude of advantages. It helps clients uncover and strengthen their motivation for change, resolves internal resistance, and encourages individuals to evaluate their choices. This process empowers clients to make better decisions so they can overcome addiction.
If you or a loved one is struggling with substance abuse, don’t wait. Your life is worth it. Call Longbranch Recovery and Wellness Center today!